This is one of the only instances where its O.K to combine salty with sweet. If you’re argument is “what about pineapple on pizza?” then I’m sorry but you seriously need to think about your life choices and the food sin you’re committing, OK?
Salted caramel is the best! You can use it to dip fruit in, fill macarons with it, flavour buttercream, drip it down a cake or just spoon it into your mouth in corner where no one can judge you if you’re feeling a little sad… not that I’ve done that before…
My recipe is super duper easy because you don’t need a candy thermometer and all the things you need you should already have at home.
- 200g granulated sugar
- 100g of salted butter
- 125ml of double cream
- Sea salt to taste (I use ½ a tablespoon)
- Pour your sugar into a pan on a high heat until it melts and goes amber in colour (avoid stirring if possible)
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in your butter and stir until combined (be careful as it’ll want to spit)
- Add your cream and salt, stir until combined and simmer for about a minute.
- Pour through a sieve if you have any crystallised bits of sugar running through it, otherwise pour into a container and allow to cool.
- That’s it!
You can catch the video version of this recipe here