The perfect festive recipe that make cutest gifts this season which make a nice change the usual candy cane.
I made these peppermint meringue lollipops at a Christmas cake stall a few weeks ago and they were my biggest hit (other than my rainbow cupcakes) so I thought it would be nice to share how I made them on here.
- Egg whites
- Caster sugar (double the weight of sugar to egg whites)
- Peppermint flavouring/extract (to taste)
- Pink & Red food colouring
Other supplies you’ll need:
- A stand or hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Lollipop sticks
- Cellophane roll
- Place the egg whites and sugar in metal bowl over a pan on simmering water and stir continuously until all the sugar has dissolved into the egg whites (rub between your fingers to check).
- Once dissolved remove from the heat and pour into a stand mixer (or use your hand mixer) with the whisk attachment and mix on high for about 5-7 minutes until you have a stiff glossy meringue.
- Flavour with peppermint extract to your taste.
- Split into two bowls and dye one half red. I find the easiest way to do this is to dye it a deep pink first then go in with the red dye.
- Put the red and white meringue into two separate piping bags and pipe four colour alternating strips into some cling film/saran wrap. Roll up the meringue inside the wrap to make a sausage, snip the end off and insert inside a large piping bag with a star tip nozzle (I used a JEM 2D tip but if you don’t have any nozzles, just snip the end off of the large piping bag to have a circular opening).
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, large swirls to make a circular lollipop and insert lolly stick two thirds of the way in.
- Bake at 100 degree centigrade for an hour and a half and then allow to cool
- To finish, wrap carefully in cellophane and tie with a pretty ribbon to make your perfect peppermint meringue lollipop gift.
Video version of this recipe can be found here